Tuesday 22 November 2011

Back from hiatus

It's been a busy few months. I haven't managed to get a lot of blogging done lately, only a few facebook and twitter updates. We've had a few birthdays here at home, and we've had other family staying with us, which always take precedence.

At work, our busy cruiseship touring season has begun again. By the time I come home from a full day tour, I'm usually pretty bushed, and my online activities are generally restricted to be read-only.

In all honesty though, there hasn't been that much to report. The Hobbit production is in full swing but none of it seems to be here in Wellington at the moment - Peter Jackson's various film teams have left Wellywood, and have headed further north and further south. I've seen the occasional celebrity in town but generally they were already reported by other sources.


I don't mean to imply that I've been sitting still - far from it! I've been working on a myriad of LOTR related projects, some for my own pleasure, some for work, and some for the online community. I'll try to get some of the projects online, as soon as I can (or in some cases, as soon as the cloak of secrecy comes off them).

I've also formed a very exciting alliance with fairly new forum - Middle-earth Network. I joined them a few months ago, and it looks like I'm in great company - people like the wellknown artists Ted Nasmith and Jef Murray, and the Tolkien Professor Corey Olsen. Frankly I feel like a hobbit at an Elven dinner party! Still, any excuse for a banquet...

The Middle-earth News/NZ Noldor alliance means I'll have some better resources behind me to get on with some very exciting LOTR related projects - some of which are already underway. I hope to have some announcements about some of them soon - patience!

What I will also report a bit more often, is reports from the field that are not necessarily Hobbit related, but more general stuff. Earlier this year another tree blew over in Isengard (Upper Hutt's Harcourt Park), unfortunately it was a "reference" tree (ie, it appeared in FOTR).


It's been replaced by two new young ones. If there's call for more reports like that, let me know - I'll pop some photos on a bit more often.

Also, is it time for another Welly-moot? I'm keen! Anyone else? Drop me a comment, here or on Facebook!

  - Jack

4 comments:

  1. It's been a year now since I was in NZ. I miss it SO MUCH! I still have a firm plan to make it back for the Hobbit premiere. No money in piggybank yet, though...

    I bet there are a lot more Hobbit/LOTR tourists there this summer. Don't work too hard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya, good to hear from you! And looking forward to quite a few people coming to Wellington for the Premiere - make sure to drop me a line if you want a pickup from the airport!

    - Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now catching up myself - and was thinking it was high time for another Welly-moot. Perhaps before year's end? Or shall we wait until we've seen the coming trailer...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely time, yes! There's a few things happening at the moment, but I'm thinking roundabout 20-23 of December. We've also got a special guest coming around then. Let me work on that!

    - Jack

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.